With a Fairtrade certification Re-bag ® can produce Fairtrade cotton bags and Organic Fairtrade cotton bags. Please contact us for further information and read about Fairtrade below.
Fairtrade certified cotton
The Fairtrade organisation ensures that disadvantaged farmers and workers in developing countries get a better deal through the use of the international Fairtrade Mark.
Fairtrade certification started with products like coffee and bananas but has been extended to seed cotton - that is, cotton in its raw, unprocessed form.
Fairtrade helps small-scale cotton farmers tackle poverty, and improve the day-to-day conditions in which they live and work.
Fairtrade Standards for cotton:
- Producers are small family farms organized in cooperatives (or associations) owned and governed democratically.
- The minimum guaranteed price (Fairtrade Minimum Price) is paid directly to the producer organizations.
- Environmental standards restrict the use of agrochemicals and encourage sustainability.
- Pre-export lines of credit are given to the cooperatives if requested, of up to 60 % of the purchasing price.
- A Premium of 0,05 - 0,06 US$/kilo is added to the purchase price and is used by producer organizations for social and economic investments such as education, health services, processing equipment, and loans to members.
- No forced labour of any kind, including child labour.